I began the day by reading and recording quotations about learning.
Nominally, these are for the marginalia of Real Learning.
Practically, some of them provide insight but most (I’m doing the filtering here) reaffirm what I already believe.
Speaking of which, I’ve revisited my fundamental beliefs. They have not changed in a while and since the world has changed since I wrote them, that’s a problem. Excerpt:
Perception is reality. (See The User Illusion)
- Placebos work.
- Hawthorne effect.
- Halo effect.
- There need be no commodities.
- Reality is relative: we each have our own.
- Learned helplessness.
- “They are able because they think they are able.” Virgil
- Optimism works better than pessimism.
- Logic = blinders to intuitive exploration.
Modern people have cro magnon brains.